Shahi Green Vegetable Biryani
Serves: 10 people buffet style, as a main
300 g rice, washed and soaked in tap water for 30 minutes, then par-boiled in salted water
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 tbsp Ghee
2 large onions, peeled and cut into half moons
1 ½ tsp garlic paste
1 ½ tsp ginger paste
4 tomatoes, chopped
300 g natural yoghurt
1 tsp red chilli powder
½ tsp turmeric
1 bunch fresh methi (fenugreek), washed and chopped
A handful of green beans, cut into two pieces,
1 potato, peeled and chopped into small squares
100 g shelled peas
200 g chopped spinach
1 large green capsicum/pepper, de-seeded and chopped into medium squares
salt to taste
For adding when layering:
1 bunch or coriander leaves, chopped
10-12 mint leaves
1 lemon sliced thinly
1 pinch of saffron, soak in hot water for 15 minutes
3-5 green chillis, chopped finely
Whole Garam Masalas:
1 cinnamon quill
10 green cardamoms
1 large black cardamom
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 ½ tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp peppercorn
A handful of pistachios, pomegranate and rose petals
- Heat vegetable oil and 2 tbsp ghee in a saucepan with the tight fitting lid add all the whole garam masalas until fragrant, be sure not to burn. The add onions and cook until translucent. Add ginger and garlic and fry until the raw smell of ginger and garlic leaves the pan (about 2-4 minutes) Do not allow to get brown. Add a splash of water to ensure that nothing gets burned and keep on medium heat. Add tomatoes and fry until they cook down. Add yoghurt and keep stirring until the oil leaves the curry. Add salt, turmeric and red chilli powder.
- Now add all the vegetables and cook until half done.
- Top the vegetable curry with coriander leaves; mint and green chilli and then layer par-boiled rice on top of the vegetable curry spread evenly. Top with coriander, mint and green chili again and also pour the 1 tbsp of ghee (melted), shove in some lemon slices, pour over saffron and cover tightly with foil and then the pan’s lid.
- Keep on very low heat, and allow to cook in it’s own steam for 20-30 minutes.
- Once done, open up the biryani, serve in a dish and sprinkle the garnish.